11 Ways Websites Annoy Customers

by: Ewan Watt 4.1 min read

If you think your website is good because it’s up & running, this may be a wake up call.

No one cares that your website is your baby, your precious golden child, or you’re too busy to update the content with the latest information. No one cares how pretty or clever it is.

The truth is, if your website annoys customers they will simply click away – next please.

Here’s why:

1. INTRUSIVE behaviour that’s in my face

Websites are annoying when they’re too LOUD! So many pop-ups! Ads jumping out at me from everywhere! Sign-up forms in my face! It’s super annoying. And they’re distracting me from reading the actual content on your page.

Asking for someone’s phone number before you say hello does not work in the real world, and it certainly does not work in the online world either.


Why are you yelling at me? I’m getting out of here. 

2. Why is everything so hard to find?

I searched Google for something specific, clicked on your amazing Adwords Ad, then I landed on your home page… and now I can’t find the product you were advertising.

The same happened on social media. I saw this cool ad on Facebook, but there is no mention of the offer on the actual website. Is this website legit?

3. It’s painfully slow and I don’t have time for it

40% of people will abandon your site if it doesn’t load in 3 seconds – that’s quicker than reading this sentence. It’s 2019, we don’t have a spare 3 seconds. Customers expect your website to work fast.

4. I feel like I’m talking to a robot

People HATE when your website copy is so SEO – Google stopped needing you to specify the exact keywords on the page 5 years ago.

People reading your content are actually human. Humans engage with words that are appealing, empathise with the customers situation and inspire us to take action (buy, call, make a booking, etc.)

5. Speaking of robots, that ‘Can I Help You’ chatbox 

It’s just another annoying pop-up in disguise, often with a cheesy looking name and face attached. Why are you talking to me as soon as I walk in the door? Can’t I shop around first?

6. Can you actually help me?

I don’t care about your credentials or what year your business was established. I want to know if you can actually solve my problem. It’s actually not about you, it’s what you can do for me.

7. Where are the bloody prices?

Seriously, do you want my money or not? If I can’t see the pricing options and indicative price ranges I should at least be able to easily request a quote, with a clear statement of next steps and response time. If you’re not the cheapest, you need to offer the best or most convenient service available.

8. Slow loading images

There’s nothing more infuriating than text that jumps and content that shifts to make room for big images to load. It makes me click the wrong links by accident which is so frustrating.

9. Sites that aren’t mobile friendly

53% of website traffic comes from mobiles… that’s because it’s not 2001, so mobile responsiveness is an essential for your website. If you don’t want to invest in a mobile friendly website, don’t complain when your customers pay by cheque.

10. Stock images that are cringe (like this)

‘Free stock images’ make us cringe and shake our heads. They’re so obvious. If you’re selling me a product, I want to see YOUR product. If you’re offering me a service, I want to see your actual team… not the models from Shutterstock.

11. CRAPPY remarketing 

So, I have visited your website. Do I need you to run the same ads to me 5 times a day with the same messaging as your website? If you are going to re-market to me, please add some value to my experience.

There are plenty of frustrating things about websites that are impacting your online experience.

A sobering statistic is that most people will only get feedback from less than 2% of your customers that visit your website. The remaining 98% are nameless and faceless, but making decisions to engage with your business or the other 5 websites they visited.

Do you need some fresh eyes to look at your website from a different perspective?

Our team at ROI can help you recognise what is working and what is not, with some fresh ideas of where we can add value.

Just drop your website URL to 👉 [email protected]  and we’d be happy to take a look! or give us a call on ☎️ 03 9888 4400


Interested in tailoring your business website to appeal to new demographics? Click HERE to find out more. 


Next Article

Want to be digital-ready for 2021? Get a Free Technical Website Audit